Answering Your Workplace Strategy Questions
We already know how important data is to business. We use data to analyse operations across all elements of the business, every day. From sales and marketing, right through to HR and finance. In the same way, Workplace Strategy, uses data that aligns the work patterns that are unique to your organisation with its environment. The data collected identifies key project drivers which form the strategic framework for your future workplace design. That way, your office can be designed using real insights, rather than assumptions or trends.
If you’re new to the office fitout process, or perhaps you’ve been tasked with your company’s new office fitout project and you’re not sure where to begin, maybe you’ve heard the term ‘Workplace Strategy’ thrown around, but you’re not quite sure what it is. We’ve answered some of the common questions we hear about Workplace Strategy for you below.
What is Workplace Strategy?
Workplace Strategy is the process of understanding how your organisation operates, based on real data and observations – and later designing to these unique points.
While there may be a perception of what your staff do within the office, when and how they do their activities, observation and data collection will provide a profound understanding based on actuals.
Workplace Strategy involves understanding:
- Your senior team’s needs, goals and business strategy
- All employees – any needs that are or aren’t being met, and how they work within their office environment
- Your space; What works currently, and what doesn’t
- And analysing the above elements to develop a strategic recommendation for your organisation.
What are the benefits of Workplace Strategy?
When using evidence-based results to develop your design brief, Workplace Strategy provides a range of benefits to your business.
- That you have the appropriate space allocations. Perhaps that means that you need smaller meeting rooms and more of them, rather than one big one.
- Collaboration and interaction are in the right areas. How are your staff working, and how would they like to work influences how what spaces are created within the design.
- Save on property costs. Are all your staff always within the office, or perhaps ABW might be best for some of your staff, reducing your overall space?
- Productivity, effectiveness and morale are improved. After all – your design is based on data taken from every individual in your organisation.
- It acts as a catalyst for change in staff behaviours and enables the desired culture.
- … Ultimately, these things improve the bottom line and future of the business!
How much time do I need to set aside for Workplace Strategy, and when should I do it?
There are a number of elements that will vary on how long you need to set aside. Company size and the different steps that your company is undertaking (whether it be every data set, or just a few).
For example, Sheldon worked with MNF Group (pictured) department heads to gain the information and data to develop the brief for its Sydney office design.
As a rough guide, leave about a month for a full workplace strategy to take place ahead of the rest of the office fitout project timeline.
How will my Workplace Strategy results impact my future office fitout project?
Workplace Strategy ensures that your new office model best addresses all key project objectives; based off of real data, not perceived attitudes and trends. The result is an office environment you know (rather than assume) will work best for the unique individuals and culture of your business.
What if I don’t conduct a Workplace Strategy?
Don’t worry, you have options! Ideally, we’d love to gain an understanding from the above methods to gather insights unique to your company via a workplace strategy. However, there might be instances when you aren’t able to do so.
Perhaps your office fitout project is starting ASAP and doesn’t provide you the time gather insights, or your budgeting restricts what you’re capable of doing.
Sheldon offers a traditional briefing process that sets out to find out as much as we can to design based on insights which are unique to your company.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US NOW TO HEAR FROM OUR WORKPLACE STRATEGISTS ABOUT WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU:
(02) 8908 7689 or SALES@SHELDON.COM.AU